Wednesday, 30 September 2026

NZIFF: The History of Concrete (John Wilson, 2026)

It is always the films you do not choose to see that end up surprising you the most. It’s a tired line with me and the NZ International Film Festival, but evergreen.



This film is a great test case.


Usually I leave movies as soon as they are done.


However, because I was an usher for this screening, I had the opportunity to get the audience’s reaction to the film.


And with History of Concrete I was very curious.


The reactions ran the gamut - from amusement to complete frustration.


I loved it. 


What starts out as an attempt at home renovation gone wrong turns into a quest - not just to learn about concrete, but the world we have built from it.


Every time Wilson meets a new person with a seemingly unrelated story or goal of their own, the film re-orients itself around this person.


The film goes in so many directions, I forgot that the initial ‘sequence’ is based around our heroes’ attendance at a creative writing workshop for Hallmark movies.


Thus, as we learn more about the titular substance, we also take in how it has affected Wilson’s city (the film could double as a document of the US’s decking infrastructure), and the story of the various denizens within it.


Recommended.


Related


Prosecution


Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma


Seoul Guardians

No comments:

Post a Comment