Sunday 31 July 2022

BITE-SIZED: Escape Room - Tournament of Champions (Adam Robitel, 2021)

Following the events of the last movie, Zoey (Taylor Russell) and Ben (Logan Miller)  are on the trail of the mysterious Minos Group.


Minos have their own plans for dealing with the survivors - a contest pitting the survivors of previous escape rooms against one another…



I wasn’t planning on reviewing this but after catching Words on Bathroom Walls, I was curious to check back in with star Taylor Russell’s other gig, fleeing enclosed spaces.


Looking back at the original Escape Room, I think I went into it with the wrong expectations.


I expected something smaller and cleverer.


Instead, it was a very silly but well-executed thriller. 


I did not think much of the third act or the sequel-baiting tag.


Going into Part Deux, I expected ridiculousness. 


And this movie is ridiculous. 


It is just a series of set pieces, but it is carried off with such aplomb and imagination that it does not matter. In its colorful production and design, it feels like a cartoon cousin to Italian giallo, mixed with the excess of a Fast and Furious movie.


I loved it.


The movie has a great sense of what it is.


There is no attempt at depth, only pace. 


It just cuts to the chase - after a flashback sequence that recaps the last movie, and a scene introducing us to the architect of the mazes, we are back with heroes Zoey (Taylor Russell) and Ben (Logan Miller).

 

There is an efficient, classic slasher sequel brevity to this opening section, giving more time for the set pieces.


One weird thing about this movie is that I did not realize that I was not watching the theatrical version. The one I watched was the extended cut which features new beginning and ending sequences which completely alter the film. In this version, we get a new antagonist, with the tease of a new villain for a potential part 3.


Based on what I know of the theatrical version, this feels like an attempt to set up a sequel. 


Color me interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment