Thursday 27 February 2020

BITE-SIZED preVIEW: Crystal Swan (Darya Zhuk, 2018)

Minsk in 1996 - the USSR is dead, full employment replaced by a capitalistic free-for-all.

One young woman, Velya (Alina Nasibullina), dreams of leaving Belarus and going to America. Obsessed with American house music, she dreams of going to the 'home' of house, and becoming a DJ

After an error on her visa form puts her dream in danger, Velya has to come up with a plan to get out of trouble.

Arriving in the town of Crystal she finds herself distracted by the family the phone belongs to.


Sometimes I write about movies because I like them, sometimes it is because I have a strong idea that I want to put out to the world, and sometimes it is a way to bookmark a movie that I remember liking and would like to write about more extensively once I can find a copy of it.

Crystal Swan is a Belarusian film I saw at last year's film festival. I worte a bunch of notes on it, but for whatever reason I forgot about it. Re-reading my notes, I remembered really enjoying the film.

However, I am in need of a re-viewing before I write anything more in-depth on it.

Consider this review a teaser for a longer piece that will be released [at some point in the future].

An intriguing, personal depiction of life in the former Soviet block and the effect of American popular culture, Crystal Swan was a real surprise from 2019's festival.

The sense of chaos and hopelessness that the characters feel is

In the lead role, Nasibullina is a magnetic presence. It is rare to see a woman in a film where she both drives the action and is also focused on her goal at the expense of other people. In the world of this film, where one character notes that the rules their world used to live by have died and been replaced by nothing, Velya's self-sufficiency makes sense.

In thinking back to the movie, I wonder if Velya's opportunism and obsession with America are intended as a dark commentary on American individualism. I do not want to go off extrapolating without another viewing, but that is one frame I would be keen to apply to it.

Part of the reason I decided to check this movie out was the main character's obsession with American house music. 

In the movie, it kind of recedes into the background as the plot gets underway. For Velya it represents freedom from her current situation. House music has a long history of representing community for marginalized groups, so that could present another site to explore.

The key thing that I remember taking away from the film was its incredibly dark sense of humor. Velya's plan carries a certain comic tension as she becomes embroiled with the family, and her friend and fellow DJ, Alik is hilarious, constantly relating everything back to his obsession with his 'karma'.

Anyway, time to bring this ridiculous exercise in 'I vaguely remember...' to a close. Crystal Swan was really good, and is not currently available for streaming or disc (at least in my part of the world).

If you can, check it out. And my proper review. Whenever that comes.   

If you are new to this blog, I also co-host a podcast on the British girl group the Sugababes, cleverly entitled SugaBros

You can subscribe on iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment