Tuesday 25 December 2018

New podcast discoveries, 2018 edition

This year was a case of quality over quantity when it came to podcasts.

The New York Times Podcast
A weekly podcast on the goings-on in the music industry, the Popcast is the first podcast related to music I have listened to. I love music, but I am not that familiar with contemporary tastes, so the Popcast has been a great primer.


Buoy-ed by host Jon Caramanica's good humour, the podcast covers contemporary releases, issues and trends. Filled with great guests from across the critical and industry spheres, the Popcast is vigorous and incisive in its exploration of every topic, and a lot of fun. This podcast got me into country music, something I never thought would happen.

Star Trek: The Next Conversation
I am not the biggest Star Trek fan - I've watched a couple of the movies, and a couple of the key episodes on Netflix, but it has always been a franchise I respect more than I am enthused to explore.


Co-hosted by comedians Matt Mira and Andy Secunda, the longline of The Next Conversation is perfectly designed to hook old fans and neophytes: Mira is a fan who has watched the show before; Secunda has never watched TNG before, which is great for someone like me, who will probably never get around to watching TNG (at least Seasons One and Two).

It also helps that both hosts work as TV writers, and so bring a level of technical expertise to their criticism that is really great. They are also hilarious, which is a godsend during Seasons 1 and 2 as the show struggles to find its feet.

Comedians of Wrestling
As with The Next Conversation, this is a case of great execution over content. I do not have a great affinity for pro wrestling - it was not something that I grew up with. I became more interested after a college friend showed me some matches and gave me a run down on the then-current roster, but my interest is largely restricted to occasional binges of promos like this one.

Thanks to CoW, I'm getting more onboard.


A recurring theme of the podcasts I listen to is humour - it does not matter what the subject is, it always helps when the hosts can show some level of self-awareness. CoW is the brainchild of improv comedian Dan Black

Black's POV is great - he is a lifelong fan, but he utilises his background as an improv comedian to take apart the key components underpinning the story-telling in professional wrestling. Hilarious and informative, even if you are not interested in pro-wrestling, Comedians of Wrestling is worth a look.

If you are new to this blog, I also co-host a podcast on James Bond called The James Bond Cocktail Hour. Every episode, we do a review of one of the books and one of the movies, picked at random. 

The latest episode is out today - to get in the holiday spirit, we review John Gardner's Christmas-set thriller Win, Lose or Die (1989). Available wherever you get your podcasts.

Related

2016 list

2017 list

No comments:

Post a Comment